Wednesday, April 10, 2013

kokeshi love



I love Japanese things, always have. So it's not surprising that I love Kokeshi Dolls. I started collecting them quite innocently many years ago, before they got all popular and started appearing all over stationery and things here in the western world. So I had a bit of a head start. The ones pictured are some, ahem, of my collection, I prefer the older ones, often with their varnish a bit yellowed. I've picked them up from opshops and a few on Trademe, mostly when someone has labelled them incorrectly and the other collectors haven't spotted them. I know this because I've got them for next to nothing compared to the "collector" prices I've seen some auctions go to.

The one in the top picture I picked up last week for $2 at my local Salvation Army store, the one in the bottom picture is my current favourite - but I really try hard not to play favourites! (in case their feelings get hurt) I've got some shelving in the process of being upcycled to house them all, it would be great to have them all out on display.

Joining in with Max again with the Op shop show off!

7 comments :

  1. Wow! what an amazing collection! I have two kokeshi, one at 44 cm she's old and battered, and the other day I found my second at 9cm. So I need one more to be able to say I have a collection!! S:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!! I love a good collection post! That's great that you're still finding them in the oppies..

    I think I'll start a collections linky thing next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Louana - just love your collection. They are gorgeous - I think they are similar to matryoshka/babushka dolls which I love but I actually think your ones are more adorable. Isnt it just great when you find a bargain in the Op shop. Julie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic collection, beautifully displayed. I'm straining my eyes to look closely at each one you have collected as i love them too (i have the grand total of 6!). The one on top right looks really interesting. I love them i think because theyre wood made pretty and the serene facial expressions, but i dont know much about them, so your latest find hits all my buttons x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome collection - they are sooo freeking cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful collection. I have a few of these dolls too. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all things Japanese too and your collection is lovely. It was great to meet you in the weekend.
    - Emma :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, it makes my day! - I try and reply by email, so it's great if your email is connected to your account.