Thursday, April 25, 2013

we will remember them

I know that there will be lots of ANZAC posts today, as we remember the brave souls that risked their lives to give us a better future.


Thousands will attend ceremonies around New Zealand and Australia on this day of remembrance.


Many will tear up as the last post is trumpeted (just as I did), a red poppy pinned to their clothing.

 
ANZAC day has a deeper meaning to me personally, it's the day that my grandfather passed away ( my other  grandfather passed away just two days earlier that same year - I can't imagine how hard that must have been for my parents, both losing their fathers in such quick succession). I was just 10. Not old enough to really know these brave men who left little New Zealand to go and put their lives on the line. Not old enough to appreciate what they and so many others did for our country. 

This year we made some poppies to place on the war memorial in our town. We used a poppy template by Fifi Colston (my childhood crafting hero! or heroine if you prefer). Once the ceremony was over and we returned home we shared the story of the red poppy, written by David Hill and illustrated by Fifi Colston (another great book borrowed from our local library!). I think I might do another post dedicated to this book as not only is it a great read, beautifully illustrated, but it's a heartfelt account of war time that seems age appropriate for my children.

Lest we forget.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments, it makes my day! - I try and reply by email, so it's great if your email is connected to your account.