Sunday, August 21, 2011

for the birds - part 3

Each year in Winter we have been feeding our local wild birds - by local I mean the ones that visit our garden. We made pinecone feeders the first year.  Last year we made bird cake and hung it in bags, but this year I was inspired by something that I saw on Pinterest here: http://pinterest.com/pin/118534946/ . It was really easy to do and instead of using straws to make holes I just used the end of a wooden spoon. We hung them up using some hemp twine from Trade Aid. They look nice on the bare Winter branches, a bit like decorations.

No birds have taken advantage of the free food yet, but just like previous years I know that once they find it it won't take long till it's all gone.

5 comments :

  1. Awesome - what a great idea, and they look so pretty too! Your hyperlinks are working perfectly :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the winter decorations. And thanks for the reminder to fill the bird feeder up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute, I bet the birds loved them too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi could you tell me the recipe you used for these. The link to the pin appears to have gone. I am wanting to make these with our music group and have seen a few recipes but almost all have then had lots of comments of failures...but yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hannah,

      I just used bird seed and a plastic container of beef dripping from the supermarket. They didn't last too long on the tree though, I think I've had more success with the pinecone feeders. Good luck1

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments, it makes my day! - I try and reply by email, so it's great if your email is connected to your account.