Monday, February 8, 2010

from the weekend

I tend to find a recipe that I love, make it lots, then forget about it for months and months as a new recipe takes it place. Many years ago I used to make these caramel and pecan swirls quite often on a weekend as they are a favourite of my husband. At a loss as what to make this weekend I discovered the recipe, handwritten on a scrap of paper (probably copied out in a hurry at some waiting room) and thought why haven't I made these in ages? They are best served warm soon after they come out of the oven, delicious, I wish we still had some left!

3 cups flour
3 t baking powder
80g butter
1 1/4 Cups buttermilk ( I often use half and half normal milk and unsweetened yogurt rather than buy buttermilk especially for this recipe)
1/3 C brown sugar
1 C pecans, roughly chopped ( I just break them with my fingers into smaller pieces)
extra 40g butter cut in small pieces

Caramel glaze
20g butter
1/3 C brown sugar
1 Tablespoon water

1: Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Line a shallow baking tin with baking paper. Sift the flour and baking paper in a large bowl. Using your finger tips rub in the butter. Make a well in the centre and add the buttermilk. Stir with a flat edged knife until well combined and a soft dough is formed.
2: Turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface and knead quickly until smooth. Roll out the dough to a 1cm thick rectangle, measuring 36 x 21cm. Sprinkle with sugar over the top of the dough. Top with pecans and extra butter.
3: Carefully roll up the dough from the longest side. Using a sharp knife cut through the roll to form 12 rounds. Put the rounds close together on the prepared tin. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until crisp and browned. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Brush each swirl with caramel glaze.
4: To make caramel glaze: Put the butter, water and sugar in a saucepan and stir to combine. Simmer, stirring for 3-4 minutes until the mixture is smooth and the sugar dissolves.

2 comments :

  1. oh, yum!!
    i love your banner and those plates are so lovely! happy new week : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. man louana these look amazing! thanks so much for sharing you recipe. i love caramel and plan to make these a.s.a.p.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, it makes my day! - I try and reply by email, so it's great if your email is connected to your account.