Sunday, March 29, 2015
A long time ago when I started experimenting with acid dyes, I started off practicing on some pre-loved woollen baby clothes. It seemed a great way to see how the dyes reacted and I wasn't ruining my precious (spent a million hours spinning it) hand spun wool. The most I had to lose was a small amount of dye and a thrifted cardigan.
I went a bit crazy dying lots and lots of wee cardigans. Most needed slight repairs, a missing button or two, or a seam gently pulling apart. For the most part they have sat unfinished in their freshly dyed state for quite some time.
A few weeks ago, I decided the time had come to finish a couple of them and gift them to a couple of little baby girls I know. A few crochet flowers and new mother of pearl buttons and they were done. Hopefully they'll be keeping their new owners snugly and warm in the coming cooler months.
Now to finish off the dozen or so other jumpers I've got stashed away, and to find myself a cardigan in that perfect shade of green!