Monday, July 16, 2012

socks


I first heard about the The Great Sock Monkey Challenge on Melissa's blog - Tiny Happy. The idea struck a chord with me, I like the idea of crafting for charity or for where there is a need, rather than trying to make a profit (not that I'd know what a "profit" looked like!). I think there is something really special about sharing skills and taking the time out to do something for someone else, especially if it's for sick children!

Several long months ago miss E and I found a sock monkey kit in our local Salvation Army store. It was unused and came with everything, including rainbow socks, poly fill and cottons and a needle too. I'd planned to do it together with miss E but we had never got a round to it. That was all we needed to get started! Once I realised how easy they were to make there was nothing stopping me, except a lack of socks!

I found an assortment of kids socks at my local JK kids outlet store - 6 pairs for under $5 - bargain!

Over the past few weeks I've been stitching little arms and ears on here and there and now I've got 6 finished all ready to send away. I'm waiting for this rain to clear before taking a photo of the menagerie! But above is one of the first ones that I finished.

You don't have to actually make monkeys to help out, you could donate socks, buttons or sewing cotton and poly fill too.

If you want more details you can find out all you need to know on the Facebook page here:  The Great Sock Monkey Challenge.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments, it makes my day! - I try and reply by email, so it's great if your email is connected to your account.