Wednesday, October 20, 2010

green + a recipe

My friend bought over a big bunch of flowers for me from her "snowball" tree on the weekend. They are brightening up my kitchen bench at the moment and make me smile when I look at them. They are being kept company with a casserole dish that was a birthday present. It's sole purpose is to collect kitchen scraps for our compost bin. I was using an empty ice cream container that I'd whip away when guests arrive, it was also causing trouble with the youngest member of the household as he thought it was ice cream there just waiting for him. Now on to the recipe, I've been making these biscuits for quite a few weeks now, a batch a week. They are oaty and disappear quite quickly. Yum!

Oat Biscuits

125g Butter softened, 1/2 Cup Sugar, 2 Tablespoons Honey, 1 Cup Flour, 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder, 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon, 1 1/2 Cups Rolled Oats.

I also add around half a cup of dried fruit eg diced apricots or nuts walnuts or pecans or chocolate chips. This is just my addition mainly to use up a few little bits and pieces that have been floating around my pantry waiting to be used. Feel free to leave these out.


Preheat oven to 180oC. Cream butter, sugar and honey together. Sift flour, baking powder and cinnamon together. Add the sifted dry ingredients and rolled oats to the creamed mixture, mixing well. Roll tablespoons of the mixture into balls and place on oven tray. Flatten slightly with a fork, bake for 15 minutes or until golden. These biscuits spread little if at all so feel free to place them close together on the tray.

(I've actually started decreasing the amount of sugar the more of them that I've made, especially if I'm adding dried fruit to the mix)

enjoy!


2 comments :

  1. That's such a good idea to use your lovely casserole dish for scraps. We tend to use whatever bowl/dish is handy and it's just icky. I'm going to dig out one of the old casserole dishes we don't use much and implement your idea immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful snowballs, and i love your compost bucket idea! ours really is just a bucket (with a lid) and it's very ugly.
    that biscuit recipe looks yum- thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, it makes my day! - I try and reply by email, so it's great if your email is connected to your account.