Monday, January 11, 2010

little hands

These little hands (seen here picking little alpine strawberries) turned one yesterday. We celebrated with a small gathering of friends and family. I tried to keep things as simple and as green as possible, no paper invites, a request for no presents and a plate of food to be brought to share, fabric bunting and no paper plates or cups. Of course close family ignored the no presents request but I was pleased that everything gifted was made to last, wooden toys and books and a few special homemade items. The few children that attended were given a small package of homemade play dough to take home along with a few cookie cutters (alas the cutters were plastic, I left it to the last minute to look for some and the only ones that I could find that didn't cost me more that the total cost of the party were plastic), they seemed well received by all. A big bonus of everyone bringing a plate was there wasn't a huge amount of leftovers nor a mountain of dishes to deal with, which has got to be a good thing.

The cake was a construction theme, my little boy already seems to gravitate towards little cars and trucks so it seemed a perfect choice for him and simple enough that I didn't spend hours labouring over it. I can't believe how fast this first year has flown by and I'm acutely aware how fast he's growing up. I am making the most of cuddles and little chubby feet realising that they will disappear all to quickly and one sad day he might not be overjoyed to give his mum a hug. His mumbled mummumumms and daddaddads will change to a clear mum and dad. I just want to bottle him at this age and never let him grow up!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments, it makes my day! - I try and reply by email, so it's great if your email is connected to your account.