Tuesday, July 2, 2013

timing


Timing is everything right? I've heard that said a lot. I'm in agreement, especially in this case. I quickly popped in to a local op shop last week , the shop is one I consider to be over priced - all of the time. I still go in, just in case. I spotted this wee wooden Russian Doll, in the "to be priced" pile -The manager was on her lunch break, presumably, as she was no where to be seen. So I asked the "fill in" person "how much please?" - "One dollar" was the reply.


 I snapped it up! I've long held a fascination for Russian Dolls, I'm pretty sure it's to do with a wee skit on Sesame Street that I remember from my childhood. It's a Russian Doll, that dances about and opens up to reveal all the mini dolls inside, they in turn dance all about and then pop back inside the big doll. Do you know it?

I know if the manager was there, she would have charged LOTS more for such a collectible. Timing IS everything.

Joining in with Max and - the op-shop show off! 

12 comments :

  1. What a fantastic find and price! Love them. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO well timed!!
    Its awful that some places overprice these days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yippee, I'm so pleased for you! Gotta love finds like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are sooooo right there Louana ... I think you got the bargain of the year there!!! And it just depends WHO is on all the time here too. Love your collection :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What luck! Awesome find and great bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hehe superb timing Louana - These dolls are adorable :) I find it tough in op shops when people assume prices on how you may appear, I much prefer priced items to the ladies who make it up on the spot...also I know its all over a few dollars or cents, those of us who live our lives through op shops shouldnt be scoffed at when we refuse the $10 made up price tag when we know we can get it for $3 haha. All for a good cause I know, but when you op shop a lot it all adds up. anyway nuff babble - good finds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great score, bargain price and sounds like shell be loved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, they are gorgeous Louana, i love that each one is different. Yeah, don't get me started on the whole pricing thing. there is a lady at our tip shop who massively overcharges and a guy who massively undercharges. it's quite hilarious watching everyone in there milling around suddenly rush for the counter when she goes out the back! I bought a coal bucket this week, it just appealed, a bit rusty but cute. $10 i thought was a bit steep but i went with it. Terry texted me a picture from The Warehouse the next day. $11 new. Doh!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As soon as you mentioned that clip from Seasame Street I knew what you meant. I love Russian dolls too - maybe for the same reason? These ones are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOO THAT'S SO SUPER FABULOUS!! i DID THE SAME WITH A VINTAGE SEWING BOX...PRICED AT £10...THE OLD LADY COVERING FOR LUNCH WHILE THE MANAGER WAS OUT WAS HORRIFIED AND SAID £3! SO GREAT TO FIND YOU....NOW FOLLOWING YOU (STALKING!) EVERYWHERE LOL XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh yep I know the sesame st clip!...I have some sweet Russian doll sets...my little girl cant get enough of them. something very satisfying about packing them away inside themselves x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, it makes my day! - I try and reply by email, so it's great if your email is connected to your account.