Thursday, September 5, 2013

towelling


Here's a quick and easy tutorial for a towel turban! Most of the ones you can buy in the shops are made of micro fibre, I don't know about you, but it feels funny on my hands and I'd much prefer cotton towelling. I made this one from a bright vintage towel, but you could choose a plain towel perhaps? I've seen towelling for sale at my local fabric store, might be a good option if you want to make a few.

Here's how you can make one:


Cut out the pattern, I often cut out my patterns on vilene, the plain stuff, not iron-on. It tends to hold up better than paper, especially if you are using it lots.


Cut out two pieces,(1cm seam allowance included) if you are using patterned towelling make sure the right sides are together. Zigzag or overlock the edges to stop it fraying. With right sides together stitch around the edge, leaving the bottom open, I used a 1cm seam allowance. (I only have the right edge turned back is to show that the "right" sides are together)



Turn it right side out. Turn up the long edge that you left open. Slip in a hair tie or elastic at the seam of the short "tail" end of the turban. Stitch the hair tie/elastic in place, going back and forward a few times to secure it. Carry on stitching right around the bottom edge.


It should look something like this. Almost finished.


Sew a button on the middle of the front seam (opposite end from the hair tie/elastic). That's it you're done!


Try and take a "selfie", hope you do better than me! I seemed miss the turban 99% of the time!


To wear the turban, but the larger part, the one with the button at the back, twist the front up and flip it to the back. Slip the elastic over the button and you are done! (another selfie! Really need to teach my kids to take great pics!)

This one is for my daughter, for school swimming. Perfect for when she comes out of the pool, she can quickly get her wet hair up while she changes back into her uniform. I'm going to team it up with a new towel for swimming too. Ticking off another hand made Christmas present!

12 comments :

  1. Great idea. I didn't know it, but I need one of these...in that gorgeous vintage towel fabric too. I love it. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  2. super cool thinking I need 4 of these ! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister has one of these (that she bought) and I thought it was totally ingenious when I saw it then.
    Great job on yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I love how you used a vintage towel.

    Cheers,
    Lynda.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! Love that vintage towel too. Thanks for joining in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! I am here via the Made By Hand Blog hop! What an adorable idea, and to make your own!! What a cute blog! I enjoyed my visit, joined your site too, won't you please stop by and join mine? Thanks! Sandy www.sanderellas1.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool. I should make one for my daughters swimming. It drives me insane when she lets the hair drench her tshirt! Thanks for sharing. Its now on my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pinned - I know I have some cool toweling in my stash....somewhere!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, it makes my day! - I try and reply by email, so it's great if your email is connected to your account.