Monday, November 18, 2013

spun


 A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of giving some preschool children a try of spinning wool. They were doing a unit on farm animals and spinning wool tied in nicely with that topic. I took in my wheel and a selection of different animal fibres for them to touch and have a try spinning with my hands guiding. I bought along some super soft Angora rabbit fibre and Alpaca and of course, some sheep wool too!


They were so excited and I enjoyed watching them feel the fibres, the Angora rabbit fibre was the biggest hit (it is SO soft!) with one little boy spending most of the day with his hand in the bag. As they did a little spinning with me, I wound the spun wool back off the bobbin so they had a little something to take home with them. That was the biggest hit, each of them proudly taking a little sample of their "work" home and showing their friends too. I was exhausted by the end of it all, how do teachers do it?

2 comments :

  1. awww what a great experience for the kids! and what a cool mum you are :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't help but look at spinning wheels on trademe after reading this post. So sweet about the little boy who couldn't stop touching the angora. There is something so centring about touching natural fibres. My 8 year old neice came back from the Clevedon A & P show the other day buzzing about her spinning experience. Would love to try it at home with her, and my own daughters - just getting into sewing with my 4 year old and is a lovely shared learning experience. Would be keen to hear your opinion about the complexities of gear required, skill level etc - could the average not-very-crafty-but-keen-to-be person get into spinning in a low key way, without too much trouble? Steph from Outdoor Play - stephaniehnz@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, it makes my day! - I try and reply by email, so it's great if your email is connected to your account.